The Rotary Club of Kuala Lumpur (as it was known then), the oldest Rotary club in South-East Asia, existed in spirit as early as 1918, when leaders in government, commerce and professions residing in Kuala Lumpur mooted the idea of forming an association to promote community service and inter-community harmony.
The club was officially founded in 1928, and with a short interruption during the Japanese occupation, when the club did not function, has been active ever since in community-related service projects, helping the needy and underprivileged, the youth and in many more areas of focus.
Its long list of achievements includes, among others, establishing the first blood bank in the country, initiating the SPCA, the Commonwealth Society, sponsoring the Malaysian Zoological Society and National Zoo (Zoo Negara), initiating the idea of the Outward Bound School, building pavilions at Taman Titiwangsa, all of which are still in existence today.
Its most recent projects include the multi-million Ringgit BRDB Rotary Children’s Residence, a home in Sri Kembangan for needy and abandoned children that was opened in 2015 and will eventually cater for 150 children; and a two-year health awareness campaign – the 3H Project. Under this, volunteers – including medical doctors and staff – travelled to various areas in Kuala Lumpur and Petaling Jaya to provide free check-ups and advice concerning high cholesterol, high blood pressure and high glucose. A purpose-outfitted van was used to reach the sites.
Today, the Rotary Club of Kuala Lumpur DiRaja, being one of the largest and most active Rotary clubs in Malaysia, is busy as ever, doing a multitude of service projects.